Return of the Pereira

Match Report – DK Cup ’19

The DK cup return to Pyners Close Playing Grounds with Mos Eisley looking to make amends for events of last year, with Captain, Ian Pereira, fit enough after injury to play a part in the match as a substitute along with newcomer Tony Raccio at centre back. 2018 winners, Ace Squad bolstered their squad, with Karl ‘Casper’ Steedman and Harry Steedman taking up offensive positions in the team, with Darren Smith new in defence.

Mos Eisley impressed in the early stage of the match and took the lead as Ashley Williams’ corner was nodded on by Dennis Canty and turned in by Jon Hanna at close range. Ace Squad responded to the goal with a promising counter attack but Paul Cheshire couldn’t find a powerful shot to beat East in goal. East’s long kick was picked up my JJ but Luca Boome made the save low to his left. After winning the ball from a Mos Eisley throw in, Ace Squad broke through Paul Cheshire, but he elected to blaze other rather than look for Michael Casey who was free at the back post. However, Ace Squad found an equaliser as H.Steedman robbed Friel just outside the box and his high crossed drifted over East’s head and went in off the post. The half ended 1-1 with plenty for both sides to consider going into the second half.

In the second half, Mos Eisley went close to taking the lead through Canty, after McKeown had won the ball back from Sullivan in midfield and played him through, but his shot from the angle was just wide. At the other end, H.Steedman evaded Raccio’s tackle before putting Darren Stewart clean through but Stewart’s finish was weak and easily stopped by East. Later a long kick from East, eventually made its way to JJ wide on the left but his attempt on goal after checking in lacked the power to threaten the Ace Squad goal. Ace Squad took the lead after Darren Smith’s free kick was parried by East, who then saved a shot on the rebound but the ball then fell to H.Steedman who made no mistake from 2 yards. A nice Mos Eisley passing move was cut short as Williams was fouled, the resulting freekick was taken quickly by Powles chipping over the top to JJ who scored lobbing Boome first time to equaliser. Ace Squad should have retaken the lead as Chesire headed over when well placed. Pereira made a late entrance into the game showing some neat touches but was unable to help Mos Eisley find a winner as the game ended 2-2.

The game would be the first DK Cup to be decided by way of a penalty shoot out and Mos Eisley elected to go first. After 3 penalties a piece Mos Eisley led 2-0 and had two chances to win the shoot out but missed them both allowing Ace Squad to take it into sudden death. Both sides scored their 6th penalty, whlst Stephen Thorpe scored Mos Eisley’s 7th. Harry Steedman had to score to force an 8th round of penalties but East saved his spot kick to win the match and the cup for Mos Eisley.

Scroll to top