La Remontada

Match Report – DK Cup ’21

The DK Cup returned after a year’s hiatus. Originally scheduled to take place at Club Langley, an early morning downpour meant that the match had to be switched from grass to indoor Astro at Crystal Palace National Sports Centre. The change of venue also resulted in the game being a 9 a side match opposed to the usual 11 with 40-minute halves.

The challengers, Ace Squad, had the best chance of the opening 15 minutes with Stephen East having to pull off an incredible save whilst on the floor from Paul ‘PC35’ Cheshire. However, the cup holders had a chance of their own minutes later as Ash Williams drive from distance forced a good save from Everton Steve in the Ace Squad goal. From the resulting corner, Mos Eisley took the lead as the cleared corner found Martin Fennon who curled home from just outside the corner of the box. Ace Squad also equalised immediately but Robbie hit the post with a low drive from outside the box. Mos Eisley took control from here and created the better chances doubling the lead after 32 minutes as Fennon pounced on a loose ball following a Jon Powles tackle, and slotted home from inside the box. Fennon could have had 3 further goals but one clearance off the line from Chaplin and two saves from Evertonian Steve meant the half time score was 2-0 to Mos Eisley.

In the second half, Ace Squad got off to a flyer reducing lead after Robbie played a one two with Karl ‘Casper’ Steedman and beat East with a low drive to his left. Fennon went to close to completing his hattrick soon after, hitting the post with a shot outside the box. 6 minutes into the half and Ace Squad level the scores thanks to Caspers smart control and dinked finish over East from Jamie Reilly’s excellent chipped ball. Mos Eisley attempted to stem the tide, JJ hitting the post and later Edward Watson picked a loose clearance and had his shot saved. Ace Squad remained dangerous as Darren Stewart almost gave his side the lead but deflected a shot just past the post. Mos Eisley turned up the pressure having several chances to retake the lead, firstly captain Pereira’s freekick was saved, then Fennon broke through after a Ace Squad defensive mix up but his shot went the wrong side of the upright and JJ’s shot had Everton Steve scrambling across his line to clear. At the death Ace Squad almost won it, but K.Steedman’s powerful volley hit the bar.

2-2 it ended at full time, as a result both teams made their way to the outdoor astro pitch for the penalty shootout. Mos Eisley went first but Fennon’s effort was saved, all other takers were successful until Ben Moore (who had the chance to win the match) missed the target. In sudden death, Willams’ effort was saved, leaving Ace Squad captain, Sean Stewart, to step up and put away his penalty to give Ace Squad victory in the 3rd David Kingston Cup.

Scroll to top